PSYCHOTHERAPY & COUNSELLING SERVICES
Leslie's counselling approach begins with a thorough assessment. This will include gathering information about social supports, daily routines and self care. Once the problems are clarified, a detailed plan for counselling is made with a client(s). Family or close supports are welcome to join sessions as desired.
Leslie has extensive training in the following therapeutic approaches. These might be used alone or in combination, and are discussed at the time of making a therapeutic plan.
- Sometimes having a neutral place to share one's difficulties and receive support is helpful. Supportive counselling can include problem-solving and helpful resources. Individuals, couples, and parents are welcome!
Rational Emotive & Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (REBT)
- The aim of REBT, a pioneering form of cognitive-behaviour therapy developed by Dr. Albert Ellis, is to reduce pressure of "shoulds" or unmet expectations. With an emphasis on the present, individuals are taught how to examine and challenge their unhelpful thinking. Read more about REBT here:
Interpersonal Counselling & Psychotherapy (IPC or IPT)
- IPT is a proven psychotherapy suited to adolescents and adults that focuses on issues such as Role Transition, Grief/Loss, Disputes, & Social Skills. The aims of IPT are to reduce difficult emotions, and help individuals to have greater social functioning and supports. IPC is a brief version of IPT, usually 4-8 sessions. Read more about IPT here:
Interpersonal & Social Rhythm Therapy (IPSRT)
- IPSRT is variation of IPT specific to the unique features of Bipolar Depression. IPSRT combines the interpersonal aspects of IPT (inventory of social supports, defining a focal area) with detailed attention to biological (sleep-wake cycle) and social rhythms (daily routines and social contacts). Read more about IPSRT here:
Relational Life [Couples] Therapy (RLT)
- RLT, founded by reknowned family therapist and author Terry Real, is a therapy with a specific focus on building relational skills. RLT is for Couples and Individuals who are interested in enhancing their ability to communicate, reduce conflict, and feel respected in their intimate partner and family relationships. Read more about RLT here: